Sunday 1 April 2012

Kate Duffy - Had a break!

Hi Ive had a little break after handing in course work and finishing my placement. I say break what I mean is that I'm still doing "stuff" but more for my pleasure.

So what have I been doing, well, I nearly had a break when a theatre script I wrote very nearly got picked by a theatre company performing at an Oxford theatre before heading to Edinburgh Fringe. It was very exciting to be so close but extremely disappointing not to have got it, this time. What it has made me realise though is how much I do want it. Before now I would have been terrified at the prospect of having one of my scripts, film or theatre, being put into production but I am so ready now. It would have been an excellent start to my career beyond college but I am also aware that if I had been chosen then I would have been extremely lucky as writers very rarely strike it lucky with their first script and the first production company to look at it! Anyway, I've sent it else where the experience as definitely boosted my confidence.

I've also been involved in a joint project with my fellow writer and other half of Sisters Ink Writers, Sarah. We headed off to a Tattoo studio for a day to shoot in the hope of making a short film. We've got to go back for another shoot day for more interviews before we can edit.

This I would never have done pre Film Oxford, I just would not have had the confidence. Even if nothing comes of it the learning experience is brilliant. I really enjoy the process and hope to make more films in the future along side my writing.

It's not all been good this month though when one of my projects fell by the way side. I wanted to enter a sit com script to the BBC's comedy writing competition but after completing the outline I didn't have enough time to write the episode required to enter. I'm kicking myself on that score but I have to remind myself that I can't do everything! Just not a good month with college dead lines the same week. Hey ho, I'm still going to write it, I'll have to find something else to do with it instead! Oh I know, in cupboard next to the rest Ha! No, that's the old me, this is the new me!

Went to the theatre last week and saw a contemporary production, it wasn't really my thing, sooo intense but still a great experience none the less. Have made a vow to go and see some kind of theatre once a month. Lets face it, gone are my raving days then followed by drinking grown men under the table, can't take the 3 day hang over and the shame. It only happens very rarely now urghh....I'm just  wincing at the thought of my birthday last year......let's just say I woke up with no voice and a badge saying I love c**k pinned on the arse of my jeans. I had no part of it of course, no seriously I didn't, can't remember anything past 10.30!

No, I'm cultured, intellectual and focused now, that's the new me. On that note I'm off to watch the Witches of Eastwich,.....I know, my depths know no boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment