Saturday 7 April 2012

A brick through my window..please...anyone?! (Not literally of course)

Now I know this is not related to volunteering at Film Oxford but I felt the need to Blog and I don't have a another Blog account. Note my serious journalist style font! 

So, Samantha Brick has turned heads for all the wrong reasons this week with her article in the Mail which sparked all kinds of 'hating' to spread over the net and TV. This could be the wrong move for me to react but lets face it, my Blog ain't going world wide so I should be safe.

Now, Samantha Brick is your stereotypical sexy woman, blond, blue eyes, 'well stacked' so I see why she gets the attention. I don't believe her to be universally good looking such as J-Lo or Beyonce but none the less she is Barbie-esque and matches the type that we are led to believe most men find attractive and sexy, note I say most, not all, I do know that not all men love a Barbie figure! I imagine that she does get a a lot of attention from men and negative attention from some women, do i think that it is a cross to bare? Maybe, but not as heavy as the one I'm lugging about!


Here's my problem. I have no partner and have been single for a few years. When meeting new people be it at work, on a course or out socially the conversation will always turn to relationships are you married, single etc. On replying that I am single I am then usually asked if I choose to be single and I always say the same, that it is not by choice but that I never meet anyone, not from being to choosy or not liking anyone but from from not ever getting chatted up in the first place. This is usually received by disbelief which believe me is very flattering, though whether people are just being kind (probably are), I don't know but the fact remains the same I do not pull, ever!


Now I know I am not universally good looking and definitely no sex bomb.  In fact I see my self as rather manly, un-sexy and average looking. My eyes, mouth and nose are in the right place but there is nothing particularly pretty about them, my figures alright but I ain't no Kelly Brook, but people, especially women, find it hard to accept that I do not get chatted up. In fact they tend to go one further saying 'If I was gay I'd chat you up', 'I was thinking how fanciable you are!' or 'What a waste of a good woman'. I do actually think at this point, oh Christ they really are feeling sorry for the old singleton left on the shelf, but the fact is I do hear it and do wonder, if this is the case then why do I not get approached, let alone asked out on dates.One theory I have is that because I am so blokey (in my head having partly evolved into one in their abence), that women actually start fancying me and men are put off!

I suppose circumstances play a big part in your chances of being hit on. Let's face it unless Hugh Grant parachutes into my close at the end of the tiny village where I live, then he ain't never gonna get his chance. What? If Cameron Diaz can get her door banged (let alone elsewhere by the end of the night) by Jude Law in the Holiday then I too live in hope! I know it's a film! This is what years of being single has done, I've become deluded by Rom Coms and when you live in the middle of no where single handedly raising a 5 and 7 year old the isolation can start to play tricks on your mind. Anyway, I tried to tweet Hugh this week but he doesn't have an account so that's over before it started, his loss. I wonder if Jude Tweets...


The point I'm trying to make is that poor Samantha Brick is plighted by being chatted up and adorned and I am plighted with the opposite so I beg she stops moaning. Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate, but it does make you question what is going on when women are in disbelief at you not getting chatted up and the men are running a mile!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been around myself for a while (with Down Memory Lane).
    However popped in for a read and was really taken with this particular blog, perhaps not for obvious reasons. I don't know you that well we've probably only met a few times and said hi. Only I can and I think others will relate to what you are saying. I've been in a relationship for 17 years now. But it's really the only relationship I've ever had. We didn't meet until I was nearly 30. There are I know lots of reason why I wasn't able to trust or allow anybody close to me - which I won't go into here. But I do remember thinking I never meet anybody. The only times I did were when I was incredibly drunk. These were the only times I pulled and then I would run away the next day, out of fear. It wasn't until I stopped worry about it - that finally found myself on a date for the first time (actually dinner with someone rather than banging the headboard with them). It didn't work out (he was younger than me and I couldn't listen to Take That). Although I did meet somebody a year later when I wasn't looking and had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be alone forever. So I guess what I would say is don't worry about it (not saying you are). But this society just pushes women into thinking they must be with somebody. I wasn't for years and it was just by chance that it happened (although I had time to find out who I liked and why). Loads of my girlfriends are single and I don't think women need a man to make their lives complete. You are obviously talented, attractive women I’m not hitting on you and I don't feel sorry for you. Your arse is a lot smaller than mine lol. I think we are never happy with what we look like and that we even have too much or too little attention. We are never satisfied as human beings because we always have to have something that we want - thank you so much for posting this blog I think it was great to read and very honest of you I really enjoyed reading it. Cyber hug love Sharon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon
    I did write a reply to your comment when I was in my email so maybe it doesn't show here. Hope you got it and thanks x

    ReplyDelete