Friday 8 June 2012

Kate at Film Oxford - The Edit no. 2


Sarah and I have been able to get into Film Oxford again this week to crack on with editing the tattoo film. we've managed to get a time line going that to date is just over 2 minutes long.  We have over 2 hours of film so this is great.

As we placed interesting film clips onto the time line we could see our story developing. We're going to have four stories playing along side each other. Some just using images and some using the interview image and sound we got. This seems to be piecing together nicely and once you get going it feels natural as to what the next clip is going to be. Getting started is definitely the hardest part it can feel overwhelming with all the footage and so little time of it to use.  Preparation is key here logging the clips clearly so you're not having to trawl through them repeatedly as you can't remember what they are!

The process is definitely a slow but rewarding one. This was our second editing session, in total we've spent 7 hours and we only have just over 2 minutes of film, this shows how long the process can take, well for us amateurs anyway.  It felt as the creative side of my brain was working yesterday with lots of good ideas, but when it came to using the software to create the effect my brain kept going blank. For instance laying the interview audio over different images, in the first instance I couldn't remember how to do it.  With the help of Stewart, a Film Oxford worker, my memory was refreshed. I suppose the only way to remember and learn the skills are to get on and practise them, which is what I am doing.

Sarah's definitely got the editing bug and wants to do the course at Film Oxford which of course would be fantastic.  In the mean time we shall soldier on with my sieve head. Don't get me wrong we're really enjoying the process but it ain't as simple as it looks!

Other business, been working hard on my college work today only a few weeks left until the modules deadlines so the pressure is really starting to build. I'm just not academic, it's just taken me two years to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment