Tuesday 25 September 2012

Film Oxford - Volunteering, editing...not, shoot!


Well hello! It's been a long busy summer with kids off school and no free time for much else. I did manage to help out one day at Film Oxford with the children's animation course which was fantastic. They were all so enthusiastic and uninhibited, oh to be young again! We adults worry far to much what others are going to think of our ideas which, in my case, restrains our creativity. But the kids, wow there's no bars held with them. Great ideas pouring from them was a pleasure to see. Unfortunately I fell ill and didn't make it back for the final two days in fear of contaminating a room of children hence ruining their summer hols! I'm definitely signing up my 8 year old for next year though!

Now, the edit of the tattoo film, what can I say. Sarah and I again attempted this which consisted of us sitting in front of a Mac staring at the captured footage in adobe premier and not having a clue what to do with it. I Think the problem is this, when planning the film we had decided not to include ourselves, the only problem is we can be heard throughout but we have know footage of us except a few minutes of spitting image like noddies!  So, this has caused confusion and problems in the edit. Are we in or out? If we're out of it it's hard to find footage of us not saying anything, if we're in it there's no sign of us and the audience will be thinking who's voices are they? What's there part in all this? Yes, it's a balls up. What we have decided after staring at the clips blankly for hours is.......to pass it over to an editor to have a go. They can do what they will with it, no sound, sound, arty, any thing they like.  Lesson learnt here is prep is vital in getting what you want from your film, you have to be clear and stick with it as much as possible. Any budding editors please get in contact and help us no budget available but Sarah cooks a mean chicken and chorizo casserole.

Another bit of filming I'm doing is tonight. I became friends with the organiser of the Oxford Fe-line Women's group after meeting on course at Film Oxford, she has asked me to film an event tonight about blogging.  Going off to do a recce in a minute then collect the camera etc from Film Oxford. Let's see how I get on with this after all, it's all a learning curve for me.  When I think back to this time last year I would never have agreed to head off alone and give it a go so it's a sign of how much my confidence has grown. Never a bad thing surely!

1 comment:

  1. Many observational documentary filmmakers do have just the voice from behind the camera. You can try and write a bit of narrative if you think it looks odd, without you being in shot. That way the audience recognizes your voice and then when they hear you later they make the connection. You don't always have to appear on camera. If you want me to have a look at the rough cut, I'd be happy to do so and offer some feedback. You may already have all you need and it's good not to show it to too many people because they all have an opinion. But you know where I am if you need me. Thanks for your comment on the exhibition it was really lovely and I'm very proud of everybody involved they did a great job. Love Sharon xxx

    ReplyDelete