Monday 30 January 2012

Kate at Film Oxford - Girl on the Block

Well this week my time at Film Oxford was cut short when home life took the front seat. My 5 year old was ill and off school meaning I was unable to got in the whole time. This is a reality you have to face when being a single parent Mum who doesn't have the luxury of a Nanny. It brings it home that working, or getting stuff done that you really want to, is not always plain sailing. These times can be dis-spiriting (if that's a word, it is now!), when sat at home watching Mr Tumble, but you have to try not to let it hinder your attempts of trying to make a success of yourself, single Mum or not. If any thing, it's made me think that kids TV could do with a shake up and some fresh writers!

When I was in the office, I once again met with Ali and discussed the Reel Women course and began plans for the screening event.  I've taken on some  jobs of my own to do which luckily I was able to do from home. The screening night is an important part of the The Women's International Festival and equally important to Film Oxford. It's inspiring for women film makers also for those who have thought about film making but have never given it a try. I'm really looking forward to helping Ali out and hope to learn a lot from the experience. Also, I was able to capture and burn a disc for an ex student who had gone on to shoot some of his own footage. Another job I've learnt and hope to continue at Film Oxford, freeing up the staff to get on with other stuff.

I really hope to become a useful member of the team by the end of my stay. Not only do I want to learn new skills and gain invaluable experience, I'm  hoping the staff will have found me an asset and not just a distant memory '...that woman that came in for 10 weeks....old what's her face?'. Who knows my stay may inspire a script,  all the staff may recognise their characters on screen one day! Don't panic Mr Mannering, I'll be kind!

Anyway, back this week as my daughters well, don't get me wrong, actually, I selfishly love it when the kids are ill. It's the only time I get a marathon cuddle, but, I'm looking forward to getting back and getting stuck in. Anyway, too much Mr Tumble is unhealthy for any adult!







3 comments:

  1. Ha ha I must check Mr Tumble out, it must be tough with children as you can't plan when they are ill. But good for you to look forward and positive and I have no doubt that you will be an excellent addition to the team. It's also great that you are assisting Ali with the Reel Women's screening, and as for the children's TV - go for it! You could have a manic mum who does as 150 things at once : ) Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, your blog is making me want to come and do a course there. Could you send me some details? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah you can find all course details on the web site OFVM.org.

      Take a look and see if any suit, the courses are at all levels so I'm sure you'll find something to suit.

      Kate x

      Delete