Thursday 12 January 2012

Kate at Film Oxford - New Girl on the Block

Hi, I'm Kate and I've just started unpaid work placement at Oxford Film and Video Makers, also known as Film Oxford, and thought it may be a good idea to write a Blog so I can record my experiences. Who knows, a future volunteer or mature student (yes, mature student!) may find it useful if wanting to join the team there or thinking of returning to education. I'm in my second year on the Writing for Performance Foundation Degree that is ran at Ruskin College. To my delight I successfully completed the first year (I'm a single Mum with a 4 and 6 year old), and am now in year 2, term 2, where I had to find an unpaid work placement. My heart lies with film so I knew it would be best to find somewhere relevant to my interests as well as to the course.

I've completed a few of the courses at, where I'm going to refer to as Film Oxford, and have an interest in independent film making. I looked at placement opportunities at the BBC and ITV but thought, come on woman be realistic. Although the idea of being on the set, or in the script department, of Coronation Street for 10 weeks would be a dream placement, I needed to get in the real and practical world. Anyway, I don't think my 4 and 6 year old would be able to fend for themselves for 10 weeks whilst Mummy followed her dreams, so, I had to be practical and realistic so my first choice was Film Oxford.

I've had some great experiences at Film Oxford taking part on some of the fantastic courses they offer, I've always found everyone friendly and encouraging. I needed to go somewhere where I had a real interest in what they do. Although I knew I had an interest in Film Making about 14 yrs back it was only at Film Oxford on the courses, that I realised that this is what I want to do. This is how I'd like to earn a living. Don't get me wrong I'm not delusional I don't think I'm going to be the next Steven Spielberg but to earn a living doing something I enjoy and am interested in is every ones dream right? I've since discovered a few years down the line that the area that's captured my interest most is writing. I completed 2 writing courses at Film Oxford, which I would recommend to anyone who feels they want to have a go. I had no higher education qualifications and hadn't written a thing before starting the course so please don't be intimidated by the thought of it. If I've had a go, believe me, anyone can!

Anyway, I think you're up to speed, un-paid work placement, starting this week, at Film Oxford. This will be my account of my experiences and thoughts through out my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment