Tuesday 17 January 2012

Kate at Film Oxford - Still the New Girl

I'm into my second week at Film Oxford and really enjoying it. I feel like the new girl on the block, but that's because I am! Every ones really friendly and helpful making it allot easier to fit in.

The previous week I came in to observe a meeting being held by the Shadowlight Artists. By the end I felt inspired to rush out and make a film. The group were fantastic and I had the chance to film the meeting using one of the small HD cameras. I also had the pleasure of reading through one of the writers scripts and enjoyed giving feedback and chatting with him. This ain't a bad experience for your first day on a placement. I really enjoyed the day, meeting the group, and left feeling inspired and keen to get stuck in.

During the next couple of days spent at the office I met a few more of the staff and had an induction, followed by a guided tour. I shadowed a member of staff who assists on the technical side of things and was shown how to digitalised film using software in the edit suite. I then typed up the suggestions that had been made for one of the Shadowlight Artists regarding his script. Being a writer I found it tricky to give feedback without wanting it to sound negative. As a writer I also know how it feels to hear the feedback when you've just spent hours, days and weeks getting the first draft together. Giving feedback is a skill in itself but is invaluable to a writer so it's definitely a skill worth mastering.

The next day I set up this blog, not having ever blogged before you'll have to excuse my lack of experience until I get into the swing of it. I've had a look at lots of others and mine definitely needs work! Hopefully you'll see my blog develop over the weeks making it an irresistible place for you to visit regularly, well a girl can dream can't she?! Also, I shadowed Rodger again, getting camera kit ready and preparing film files on the Mac to be taken out to a workshop the next day.

Before I started it was hard for me to put my finger on what I wanted to gain at Film Oxford, but I can see already the huge opportunities to learn new skills and how diverse they're going to be. I'm a little nervous, but excited, I'm just going to get stuck in and try to learn as much as I can.

2 comments: